Thursday, May 3, 2012

Midterm Evaluation

TaNika Phillips
Dr. Stephen Brandon
English 112-08PR
19 March 2012
Evaluation of Learning and Performance

Learning outcomes are statements that specify what students will know or be able to demonstrate when they have completed or participated in a course. The outcomes in English 112 are very similar to the learning outcomes in English 111. English 111 assisted me by taking the skills that I already had and prepared me for academic, professional, and personal communication but English 112 assisted me by strengthening those skills. In English 112, I learned several things but the things that I think were most important and beneficial to me were gaining understanding of rhetoric, how to communicate efficiently and gaining understanding of the critical thinking, reading, and writing process.
In English 112, I got the opportunity to gain more knowledge of rhetoric comprehensively. I learned that rhetoric is the study of all effective communication. I was taught how to make an argument persuasive enough to change the beliefs of others by using the three appeals of the appeals triangle. The appeals are Ethos, Pathos, and Logos. Ethos is a person credibility or reputation. Pathos is creating an emotional reaction in the audience and Logos is using facts, ideas, or logic to prove a point. I also got the chance to expand my knowledge by learning more about the rhetorical triangle. The rhetorical triangle consists of the author, message, and audience. The rhetorical triangle was a visual version of how an author crafts their message to meet their agenda. An example of a piece of rhetoric we studied in class was the famous “I Have A Dream” speech by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. By using the information that I learned about rhetoric I was able to apply it to the “I Have A Dream” speech. Dr. Martin Luther King crafted a message that we will one day have a color blind society and delivered it to his audience which whom were all that lived America. Dr. Martin Luther King used the three appeals to persuade others. He used his reputation as a preacher, created an angry emotion among the people, and used facts and ideas such as the words from the constitution to prove his argument. The things I learned about rhetoric have helped me in determining how to deliver a message to meet the audience needs.
While gaining more knowledge about rhetoric I learned how to be a better writer. In order to be a good writer, one must know what they want to accomplish. I put this skill to use by analyzing an article from the editorial section of the newspaper and composing an essay about what the author’s claim was and using evidence and the appeals to support my argument. Also writing this evaluation essay of the learning outcomes has helped me demonstrate what it takes to be a good writer. For example, in this essay I know that my goal is to tell the things that I learned in English 112 and support my thesis by providing evidence. Good writing is writing that helps you meet your agenda with your intended audience by determining their needs and expectations.
In English 112, I learned how to properly communicate orally. Before entering English 112, I did not know there was so much one should know in order to be able to communicate efficiently. I got the chance to learn about the art of conversations which has made a better communicator. The rules for the art of conversation are get to know individuals names, actively listen, and list more than you talk. In class, I got the chance to practice my communication skills and it has benefited me in numerous ways. I learned that eye contact, distance, and an individual standing position can tell you more about them. While in groups, I definitely got the chance to practice my listening skills which was something that I really needed to work on. I also got the chance to learn from others. The more you listen the more you learn. The goals of a conversation are to gain a better understanding of the topic, the people around you and the world. Next is to be honest and open, enjoy yourself, and practice your skills. I can truly say coming into English 112, I wasn’t taught the ins and outs of communicating. I did not have the opportunity to learn the rules or the goals that I am being taught in English 112. I did not know that rhetoric was a major factor in communication. I learned this by studying the “I Have A Dream” speech. Oral communication is one of the learning outcomes that I can truly say I have mastered because I can demonstrate it in the way that I conversate with others.
Critical Thinking, Reading, and the Writing Process were also some of the learning outcomes that I was successful at learning. I learned that Critical Thinking is gaining a new perspective that you currently do not have. The steps in the critical thinking process are summarize, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate. I also learned that Critical Thinking, Critical Reading, and the Writing Process are parallel. Critical Thinking is essential to developing good arguments in essays which is what I was taught in this English 112 class. In order to read critically one must also think about what you are reading. I have learned that training oneself to think critically will also help improve reading and writing skills. The rules that I was taught to understand critical thinking are to make a decision to read and understand the text, slow down, and gain better understanding than you did when you went in. I put those rules to use when trying to understand the “I Have a Dream speech” by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. In order to understand the text I had to slowly reread it several times which gave me a better understanding of the speech. I also learned ways to master critical reading which were make associations, concentrate, master vocabulary, and allow sufficient time. 
The writing process was another one of the learning outcomes that I got the chance to learn about in English 112. The steps of the writing process are pre-writing, drafting, revision, proofreading, and publishing. In the pre-writing stage, is when the topic should be determined and one should start to research. Drafting is when you begin to put all the information together in your own words. Revision is where you read what you have written again and make changes. Proofreading is when you check for spelling and grammar errors and publishing is sharing the finish product with others. One of the biggest things I learned was that rhetorical elements are essential when it comes to writing because they can be a guide to help you think during the writing process. The Writing Process is a learning outcome that was not new to me but I took the things that I already knew and recently learned in English 112 to help me produce superior papers.
The purpose of English 112 is to strengthen the skills that I learned in English 111 and I honestly can say that the purpose has been fulfilled. I will leave English 112 knowing more than I knew when I came in. I have developed strategies to become an active, critical, and analytical reader of texts. The grade that I feel I deserve would be a B because I am able to demonstrate and make use of everything that I have learned. I believe a person that deserves an A is a person that has mastered everything that was taught. I can honestly say that even the people that study rhetoric which was one of the learning outcomes have not mastered it. I feel that there is so much more to learn and know about rhetoric therefore I cannot say that I should get an A in the class. English 112 has extended my understanding of rhetoric, critical thinking, reading, and the writing process. It has also extended my understanding of oral communication skills. In English 112 I didn’t only learn information that I could use while in college. I learned information that I will be able to use in the present and the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment